Homestyle Red Lentil Soup
A homestyle meal that's packed full of lentils and guaranteed to keep you warm!
|Preparation time:||10 mins|
|Cooking time:||60-90 mins|
- 800g crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 celery sticks, diced
- 375g McKenzie’s Red Split Lentils
- 4 carrots, diced
- 500g bacon bones
- 12 cups water
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover and simmer for about 60-90 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat from bones and discard bones, stirring meat back into soup. Discard bay leaf
- Season to taste. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- For a vegetarian option, omit bacon bones and beef stock cubes and replace with vegetable stock cubes. Add 3 cloves garlic, sauteed prior to adding remaining soup ingredients.
- A tasty way of getting vegies and lentils into kids, simply puree the soup once cooked and serve with toast soldiers for dipping!
Recipe provided by McKenzies Australia: https://www.mckenziesfoods.com.au/recipe/homestyle-red-lentil-soup/