Decadent Choc Layer Cake
This yummy layered chocolate cake is creamy, chocolatey and have you coming back for seconds.
|Preparation time:||20 minutes|
|Cooking time:||50 minutes|
- 200g unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
- 180g Cadbury Baking Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 130g walnuts
- fresh berries to decorate
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups soft icing mixture
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced) and line 2 x 20cm-round cake tins with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow this to cool to room temperature before adding the cocoa, buttermilk, vanilla and eggs and whisk to combine.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a seperate bowl. Add the wet mixture in gradually and whisk until smooth, then whisk on high for 3 minutes or until fluffy. Gently fold through walnuts.
- Divide this mixture between cake tins and bake for 45-50 min or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 min before removing from tins and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For Frosting: Using an electric mixer, place the butter in a bowl and mix for 3 min or until pale and creamy. Add the soft icing mixture, cocoa and milk. Mix for a further 5 min, until mixture is fluffy and smooth.
- To Assemble: Using a long bread knife, trim the tops of the cakes (if needed) so they are flat. Place one cake layer on a plate and spread with half of the frosting. Place the second layer and top with the remaining frosting. Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!
Recipe supplied by IGA Australia.