These crispy, crunchy fritters are a great way to introduce your kids to brussels sprouts.
|Preparation time:||20 mins|
|Cooking time:||10 mins|
- 450g brussels sprouts
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 free range egg
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 2-4 tbsp olive oil for frying
- Remove the hardy stalk near the base of the brussels sprouts and the outermost leaves as needed. Thoroughly wash the sprouts.
- Using a mandolin or a knife, chop the brussels sprouts horizontally as thin as possible.
- Set sprouts aside in a medium bowl. Stir lightly with a fork to separate them.
- Add shallots and garlic and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add dry ingredients and the egg to the bowl with brussels sprouts mixture. Mix thoroughly. Allow resting for 10 minutes.
- In a large fry pan, add oil and bring to medium-high heat. Start with 2 tablespoons of oil and add more if the pan begins to dry out.
- Measure out the brussels sprouts mixture into 2 tablespoon portions and carefully add them to the pan. Use a spatula to flatten the fritters. Cook 2-3 minutes each side.
- Set the fritters aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Allow to cool slightly – then enjoy!
Recipe supplied by the IGA Family Program.